The Legal Aspects of Writing and Author Rights Course is designed to equip you with the necessary knowledge on how the law protects you, your writing, and the people you might write about. Additionally, you will earn how to earn from your writing and the author rights you have so that you are not exploited by the industry gurus.
You Will Learn (Learning Objectives)
- About copyrights, what is (not) protected, how works get copyrighted, fair use, and copyright registration.
- About plagiarism, trademarks, libel, and other legal infelicities to avoid.
- Business approach to writing – selling rights to your text, invoicing, VAT and taxes, and getting paid for your writing.
- The rights in your text – article rights, book rights, electronic rights, and public lending rights.
- The essentials of a publishing contract and what to look for before signing one.
- About literary agents and author licensing and collecting societies (ACLs).