- Please note that this course has the following prerequisites which must be completed before it can be accessed
- Introduction to Creative Writing Course
The Non-Fiction Writing course explores the various forms of non-fiction genres including autobiographies, biographies, memoirs, magazines, and newspapers. You learn the techniques of craftsmanship to accurately represent reality in a compelling and dramatic way.
Aim: To equip you with the necessary skills to writing professional, compelling, and dramatic non-fiction stories.
Duration: 20 Weeks
Mode of Study: Hybrid learning.
Though our courses are about imparting knowledge and skills, not academic/theoretical approach to writing, there will be self-assessment quizzes and written assignments submitted to your tutor. The tutor-submitted assignments are designed to give you an opportunity to apply the lessons and techniques learnt.
You will also be required to write a book proposal which will be evaluated by your tutor, given feedback, and returned to you for submission for publication.
- Self-assessment quizzes: Some modules will have quizzes for you to assess yourself. Once you do the quiz, you will see your score out of 100%. However, the final score at the end of the course will be the average of all quizzes. Together, these quizzes will comprise 30% of your final grade.
- Tutor-marked Assignments: Your assignments will be marked and returned to you with tutor feedback. Since our aim is to help you become a published writer, we expect you will be a published writer if you follow our guide. Thus, any of your work that is published by an independent publication (magazine, newspaper, or journal) will count towards your grading – 70%.
Note: We don’t recognise articles published on your or your friend’s blog/website, pay-to-publish sites or publications, online publishing platforms with no editorial policies/review process, or, if a book, self-publishing with vanity publishers. (If you self-publish, use a self-publishing company with clear publishing policy and contract. If you self-publish yourself, the book should meet industry standards – this will be evaluated before grading you.)
We will award you a certificate on successful completion of the course; however, the certification is not really important if you do not acquire the skills necessary to write and publish professionally to earn from your writing.
What Will You Learn?
- About the equipment you need as a writer, how to become a professional writer, grammar in writing, and the craft of writing.
- How to and conduct detailed market survey for your writing, analyse writing markets, and sell your writing to the right target audience.
- How to effectively write various non-fiction genres and write for magazines and newspapers.
- Develop an understanding of the business approach to and legal aspects of writing and how to earn from your writing without being exploited.
- Acquire knowledge and skills on how to write and self-publish professional industry-standard books, market and promote your book, and earn from your writing.
About the Non-Fiction Writing Course
Welcome to the Non-Fiction Writing Course00:00
Module 1 – Market Analysis For Your Writing
Lesson 1 – Introduction to Market Analysis00:00
Lesson 2 – Looking for the Freelance Opportunities00:00
Lesson 3 – Analysing Readership00:00
Lesson 4 – Article Analysis00:00
Lesson 5: Analysing a Publication’s Competition00:00
Lesson 6: Market Analysis Template00:00
Lesson 7: Analysis of Short Story Market00:00
Lesson 8: Market Analysis for Books00:00
Lesson 9: Market Analysis for Radio, TV, and the Theatre00:00
Lesson 10: Analysis of Blogs and Websites00:00
Lesson 11: Analysis of the World Market00:00
Lesson 12: Kill Fees00:00